Everything You Should Know About Rodent Control In Santa Barbara
December 15, 2022 - Rodents
Types of rodents commonly found in and around Santa Barbara include the roof rat, Norway rat, field mouse, and house mouse. These rodents are more apt to sneak into our homes during the winter, searching for food, water, and shelter. Rodents can cause damage to our homes and spread bacteria and diseases to our loved ones. If you think you may have a rodent infestation, reach out to your local Santa Barbara pest control professionals as soon as possible.
Are There Rodents In Your Home?
Signs of a rodent infestation include the following:
- Gnaw marks
- Damaged food containers
- Rodent feces (small, dark, and capsule-shaped)
- Nesting materials like shredded paper or wall insulation
- Greasy rub marks
Mice often invade properties where we live and work. Mice can crawl through holes as small as a dime. They can jump and climb, which allows them to access areas that may otherwise seem inaccessible. Rats can swim up sewer pipes and into toilets. Rodents thrive under sinks, furniture, appliances, and in the garbage. You can also find rodents in attics, crawl spaces, basements, roof eaves, closets, cabinets, and even walls.
Mice and rats can cause considerable harm to our homes by gnawing through wood, drywall, electrical wires, and pipes. Rodent teeth never stop growing, and gnawing on objects helps them file their teeth. Catastrophic consequences, such as water damage and house fires, can result from an untreated rodent infestation.
Can Rodents In Your House Make You Sick?
Rodents are not aggressive, and they do their best to avoid humans. That said, a rodent infestation can cause damage to your home, and these pests can potentially spread diseases to humans as well as our pets. Mice and rats can cause the following health risks:
- Food and surface contamination
- Transmission of bacteria, viruses, and diseases including Salmonella, rat-bite fever, jaundice, and cowpox
- The spread fleas, ticks, lice, and mites
Mice and rats have a very high birth rate, so rodent infestations can grow very rapidly. Effective rodent control, with the help of a licensed professional, is crucial to keeping your home and family safe.
The Safest Way To Get Rid Of Rodents In Santa Barbara
The safest way to get rid of rodents in Santa Barbara is to reach out to a reputable pest removal company. Our service technicians will effectively and efficiently manage your rodent infestation. These pests can be dangerous, so working with professionals is the best way to ensure safe removal.
Jhonny's Pest Control is first in quality customer service. We customize our pest control treatment plans to our customers' needs. We look at the exterior and interior of your home for entry points and areas for potential problems, then place bait stations in strategic locations and continue to monitor them while looking for any additional signs of rodent activity. We go above and beyond for our clients, and your family's well-being is always our priority.
Tips To Keep Rodents Away From Your Home For Good
After removing rodents from your property and potential entrances have been sealed, follow the tips below to avoid future infestations.
- Keep storage areas organized, and make sure storage boxes are on shelves.
- Keep food in well-sealed storage containers and away from windows.
- Continue to secure all entry points to your residence, including small openings or cracks near doors and windows.
- Avoid leaving debris near your home, including wood, brush, and trash.
- Make a border around your yard with plants that deter rodents like black-eyed Susans, aster, lupine, coreopsis, or purple coneflower.
- Make sure tree branches are cut back several feet from your roof and keep bushes neatly pruned.
- Keep bird feeders away from your residence.
- Install screens over vents and chimneys.
- Watch for signs of an infestation such as feces, gnaw marks, and damaged food containers.
- Contact licensed pest control experts, such as Jhonny's Pest Control, as soon as you suspect that rodents have invaded your home.
Call now to discuss the rodent infestation in your Santa Barbara home, and learn more about the solutions we can offer you. Jhonny's Pest Control is happy to help!