The Most Effective Rodent Control For Santa Barbara Homes
February 14, 2022 - Rodents
With sweet breezes gently blowing off the Pacific Ocean, Santa Barbara gets its name “The American Riviera” naturally. It has a Mediterranean climate and a European atmosphere with a sophisticated vibe. It is this vibe that welcomes visitors from all over the world. Rodents in the area also enjoy the mild temperatures and inviting atmosphere, making residential pest control in Santa Barbara a year-round job.
Characteristics of Common Rodents
We have been dealing with rodents in Santa Barbara for a long time. While most people know of their general descriptions, there are distinct differences between mice and rats.
Three examples of rodents in Santa Barbara include:
- House mice: These small rodents are regulars in homes. They are small, measuring around 2 1/2 to 3 3/4 inches long (4-inch tails add to their overall length), and their rounded bodies can average anywhere from 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce in weight. A house mouse’s fur is light brown to dark gray (with a creamy belly), their ears are reasonably large, their nose pointed, and their black eyes are small.
- Roof rats: This rodent is long, slender, and sleek with a brown body mixed with black patches and a white, gray, or black belly. It measures 16 inches (its tail is longer than its head and body combined). Typically weighing between 5 to 9 ounces, it can sometimes weigh up to 12 ounces. It has a pointed nose, large ears, and large eyes.
- Norway rats: This rodent is “beefy,” measuring 7 to 9 1/2 inches long (its tail is shorter than both its head and body together), and it weighs around 11 ounces. Its hair is bristly and brown (intermingled with black hairs), and its belly can be gray to off-white. Their noses are round, and their eyes and ears are considered small.
Knowing what rodents look like will help homeowners identify which species is causing problems in their homes. While all three rodent species can cause significant damage to homes, more importantly, they can cause serious health problems to those that live within.
Why Rodents In The Home Is Such A Health Risk
Santa Barbara rodents have an uncanny way of finding their way into homes. Once rodents get inside, they don’t just bring one problem; they bring a whole host of issues with them.
Five health consequences brought to homes by rodents include:
- Over 35 different diseases
- Contamination of food, drinks, and surfaces
- Droppings and urine cause illness
- Dust from urine/dropping aggravate allergies and asthma
- Other pests (fleas, ticks, mites, lice) brought in by rodents cause health issues
Rodents carry potential health dangers; therefore, removal is essential. The best way to keep your home healthy is by contacting the pest professionals at Jhonny’s Pest Control, Inc.
Four Simple Rodent Exclusion Tips For Around The House
Keeping rodents out of your home is easier said than done. With some simple exclusion tips, homeowners can place barriers between themselves and rodents.
Four exclusion tips for deterring rodents include:
- Seal all holes, cracks, and gaps.
- Remove areas of moisture.
- Keep crawl spaces, attics, and basements well ventilated.
- Trim shrubs and keep firewood away from homes.
Since rodents are crafty, even the best prevention techniques can fail. Using the professional services of a pest professional such as Jhonny’s Pest Control, Inc. can help remove these pests and keep them away.
Professional Rodent Control Is The Way To Go For Santa Barbara Homes
Professional rodent control from Jhonny’s Pest Control, Inc. is the best way to ensure rodents stay out of your home. Our company is locally owned, operated, and based in Santa Barbara. We offer family-friendly pest treatments that safely get rid of rodents from your home. Contact Jhonny’s Pest Control, Inc. today for expert pest solutions.