The Best Way To Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Your Santa Barbara Home
February 14, 2023 - Cockroaches
Central California has an alluring climate for people and pests alike. Unfortunately, the combination of warmth and moisture makes Santa Barbara and the surrounding areas ideal living conditions for cockroaches. If you find yourself struggling to deal with a cockroach infestation, read on to learn why Santa Barbara pest control is the best way to fight back.
Types Of Roaches That Can Be Found In Santa Barbara
There are over four-thousand types of cockroaches around the world, each with unique identifying traits. In Santa Barbara, there are three dominant species: the American, German, and brown-banded cockroaches. These species have a similar shape and size but differ in color.
The American cockroach boasts a reddish-brown color on much of its exterior. When comparing American cockroaches vs. German cockroaches, the latter will be tan to brown. The brown-banded cockroach is brown with two lighter brown stripes on its back.
If you don't want to spend a long time looking at bugs (and who can blame you?), don't worry: you can leave cockroach identification up to professional exterminators. However, it is crucial to recognize how common they are in Santa Barbara and remain vigilant in your home. Acting fast is vital to combat cockroaches regardless of what type you encounter.
Why It's Dangerous To Have Roaches In Your Home
Most of us don't like cockroaches because they're visually and physically repulsive. But they're much more dangerous than that. Beyond making you uncomfortable, they can make you seriously ill.
Cockroaches like to gather in places that are damp and humid. Sewers, vents, trash cans, and other fixtures standard in the city are perfect examples. Unfortunately, these unhygienic conditions also allow dangerous bacteria to thrive, which the roaches then pick up and carry wherever they go.
You don't need to come in contact directly with cockroaches for the disease to spread. However, the bugs can contaminate the surfaces they travel across. Because they prefer to hide in dark places during the day, this makes cupboards and pantries common nesting locations.
Five Tips To Prevent Future Roach Problems In Your Home
After an exterminator has taken care of your infestation problem, you can prevent future problems by being proactive. Doing so will not only save you money, but it could save your health, too. Here's how to deter cockroaches.
- Keep the inside and outside of your home clean. Cockroaches need very little food and water to survive. Be sure to clean up after yourself indoors and outdoors by keeping all trash receptacles sealed.
- Look for entry points and seal them. Some crawl, some fly, but all cockroaches use common entry points to get into your home. Holes and cracks, both obvious and seemingly insignificant, should be addressed to keep cockroaches and other pests out.
- Remove clutter from your home. Cockroaches hide during the day but don't always return to their nest when they do. Sometimes, they'll wait out beneath or behind boxes, paper, plates, and other innocent objects lying around your home.
- Keep food stored in closed containers. Cockroaches can slip into tiny spaces in search of food. Use tight storage solutions like Tupperware to ensure open food is protected.
- Repair leaks ASAP. These pests are attracted in part to damp environments. Fix leaks in your plumbing as soon as you notice them to make the inside of your home less appealing.
Always think forward and make these tips routine. Be sure to keep an eye on possible hiding spots, too. Planning will help prevent an infestation.
The Best Way To Completely Get Rid Of Roaches In Your Home
Finding effective cockroach pest control in Santa Barbara is as easy as calling Jhonny's Pest Control. We work with clients to quickly address their specific needs and end infestations. Reach out to us today to learn more.